Have you ever noticed how almost every article on weight reduction, health, and fitness advises you to drink more water? Water is essential for your health, and we don’t want to sound like a broken record. (Around 60% of our bodies are made up of water.) So guzzling it to minimise dehydration and keep your system running smoothly is a good idea. Getting adequate water is one of the most essential things you can do, from preventing tummy bloat to warding off infections. There are potentially serious physiological consequences to not drinking enough water, so it’s best not to find out.Even still, some people do not drink enough water. When these water-phobic individuals do drink, they may do so with stomach-busting drinks such as soda or fruit juice. While these products can provide you with some water and hydration—and certain water-rich meals can also provide you with water—you should still prioritise hydration from simple water.

Due to a variety of factors such as body composition, metabolism, nutrition, environment, and clothes, normal water requirements vary greatly. Surprisingly, the first formal water intake advice was only issued in 2004. Adult men and women need 3.7 and 2.7 litres of water per day, respectively, according to the Institute of Medicine. Water from any beverage (including water, caffeinated drinks, and alcohol!) should account for around 80% of total daily water intake, with the remaining 20% coming from meals. However, keep in mind that this is only a rough guide. Here’s how you can keep track of your personal hydration:

  • Keep track of your weight and try to keep within 1% of your regular baseline. You may determine your baseline by average your weight on three consecutive mornings (right out of bed, before breakfast).
  • Keep an eye on your pee. Urination should be frequent (at least three to four times per day) and of a pale straw or light yellow colour with no significant odour. Drink additional fluids if your period is less often, deeper in colour, or excessively smelly.
  • Keep track of how much water you’re consuming. Your fluid intake should keep you from feeling thirsty.

Dehydration can affect energy levels as well as intellect, making it harder to stay awake. It is, in fact, the most prevalent cause of daytime weariness, and it can also cause mood swings, including an increase in aggression. The oxygen given by our blood allows all of our body’s functions to work. When our organs are dehydrated, none of them perform as well as they should, creating sluggishness in not just the body but also the mind, resulting in short-term memory issues and difficulty focusing. The easiest approach to avoid any of this is to drink the required two litres of water every day, which may be consumed in a variety of ways.As long as you keep your calorie consumption in check, you may receive enough fluids from meals like soups, fruits, and vegetables, as well as liquids that include water like coffee, tea, milk, and 100 percent fruit juice.